Calling all gnomes, fairies, wild things, and magical creatures! Children, families, and interested community members are invited to celebrate the magic of fairy wings and wild things at Woodlawn Nature Center in Elkhart on Saturday, May 7, from 1-4 pm. The cost is $4/person, $10/family, or $2/member.
The Fairy Wings and Wild Things festival features fairy and garden themed crafts and activities, where children can make a fairy or other creature with natural and found objects, get faces painted, explore a fairy and gnome trail, participate in a costume contest, have special photo ops, join in the family nature club, make a fairy wand or gnome stick, brew fairy soup in the mud kitchen, and other fun activities. The event will also celebrate the opening of the new fairy garden section of the woods created by the Gobble family of Elkhart. Costumes are encouraged with a costume contest at 2:30.
In addition to the festival, please help encourage the magic of play at the Fairy Wings and Wild Things event at Woodlawn Nature Center on May 7 by creating a fairy garden, gnome hut, fairy door, or other miniature creation. Woodlawn Nature Center is asking for submissions of fairy gardens, gnome huts, and other accessories to help decorate “Wild Thing Way”, one section of the trail. Submissions should be able to withstand the weather and will be on display through Labor Day at which time they can be collected and/or left for disposal. Entries can be turned in to the front desk and then placed on the trail on May 7th from 12-12:45. The public is invited the Fairy Wings and Wild Things Event from 1-4 pm. The event goers will have ballots to vote on different categories during the event, with winners of the building contest being announced at 3:45 on Saturday. Fairy gardens and gnome huts can also be placed after the event for the public to enjoy.
Fairy Garden and Gnome Hut Guidelines
- Try to recycle or repurpose something for your entry if you can.
- The entry does not have to be a full fairy garden or gnome hut—feel free to get creative and think outside of the “garden”
- Please place within three feet of the designated path after checking in with Woodlawn Staff. Please be careful not to disturb the wildlife and plants along the path.
- Please make the item durable and ready for the weather, as it will be left outside.
- Woodlawn Nature Center is not responsible for any damage to the items.
- Please reserve the cleared out fairy garden spot for interactive use—do not place fairy gardens there.
- To be considered for the contest, please fill out the entry form in the nature center and place on the trail with your numbered marker (obtained in the Nature Center) by 12:45 on May 7. Please ask if assistance is needed to place the item. We will check the trails before hand, but please watch and be aware of poison ivy.
- Please do not drill into any living trees.
- Please remove the item if you wish to keep it by Labor Day, as the trail will be cleared soon after that.
- Please contact Carla Gull at email@example.com or 966-0250 with any questions.
- Look for ideas at: https://www.pinterest.com/outsidemichiana/wnc-fairies/
Thanks for making this magical place happen!